Los Angeles, Calif.
Grantland Assistant Editor (June 2012 – present)
- Fact-check and copy edit features (incl. oral histories), blog posts on NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, wrestling, music, movies. Stories by Bill Simmons, Bill Barnwell, Jonah Keri, Zach Lowe, Katie Baker & vary in length from 1k to 20k words
- Write long, research-driven pieces, ex: An oral history of the 1989 (Earthquake) World Series, Timeline of events from Ray Lewis murder charge, breakdown of Peyton Manning’s playoff stats)
- Contribute to the sports blog with Cheat Sheets (about players/games to watch, specific events like the NCAA Tournament and the Masters) & staff posts (NBA, NFL, staff recommendations/predictions)
- Created & produced Grantland Audibles – select stories, cast voice actors, coach talent, provide notes for sound editing
- Work with WordPress, HTML, and ESPN’s content editing system (CMS) to build features, cut photos, add inline boxes and pull-quotes
- Extremely familiar with sports statistics & capable of doing research using Sports Reference sites, FanGraphs, NBA Advanced Stats, ExtraSkater, etc.
- Occasionally manage the site’s Twitter and Facebook accounts; increased user engagement on FB by 8% in two weeks during Sequeltology bracket
Wall St. Cheat Sheet, Durham, N.C.
Reporting Intern (March 2012 – May 2012)
- Write briefs focusing on consumer goods and retail — articles mostly about tech, govt, start-ups — 20-30 articles/wk
- Research and write longer-form features/commentary on the future of certain companies, ex: Groupon
- Site named finalist for Forbes America’s Most Promising Companies in 2011, top financial outlet according to WSJ
The Associated Press, Durham, N.C.
Freelancer, stringer (Sept. 2011 – Feb. 2012)
- Write recap and preview stories based on weekly Duke football press conferences, contribute quotes for preview stories
- Gather and transcribe quotes during post-game pressers for breaking coverage of Duke basketball and football games
- Keep a running play-by-play and notes during the game as supplemental information for writer
- Aided multiple game stories (from a hometown perspective), enhanced own sports/breaking news judgment
ESPN, New York, N.Y.
espnW Intern (June 2011 – Aug. 2011)
- Edit the work of espnW contributors and ESPN.com writers — most have appeared on front page of espnW.com or ESPN.com
- Worked with HTML and ESPN’s Content Editing system to put stories online and create modules for videos, photo galleries, special features, & live Twitter feeds centered around coverage of the Women’s World Cup
- Bylined multiple articles about the WNBA, Women’s World Cup, MLB, and NBA Draft, as well as features
- Used espnW’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter) to reach out to our audience for assignments
The (Raleigh) News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C.
Sports Intern (May 2010 – August 2010)
- Wrote features on local athletes, game stories (Durham Bulls, Zebulon Mudcats), breaking news
- Interviewed well-known athletic figures like Julius Hodge, Jerry Stackhouse, & Jawad Williams
- Bylined 49 articles — roughly one article a day (10-week internship)
- Circulation: 194,933 Sunday, 143,599 Monday-Friday (as of Dec. 2009)
The (Duke) Chronicle, Durham, N.C.
Associate Sports Editor (Sept. 2009 – May 2012)
- Copy edit and fact check the work of staff members and watchdog the section at least once a week
- Lead beat writer for women’s lacrosse, women’s basketball, women’s volleyball – covered teams’ runs in the NCAA and ACC tournaments
- Bylined 70+ articles (including men’s basketball) in addition to deadline writing and “live blogging/tweeting”
- Circulation: 30,000 Monday-Friday
Duke Student Broadcasting, Durham, N.C.
Reporter (Sept. 2011 – May 2012)
- Film Duke men’s basketball games from the floor, as well as post-game press conferences and locker room interviews
- Film and produce video packages for both sports and news sections (ex: men’s basketball, IGC Stroll Show, etc.)
- Aided with production of feature pieces for ESPNU Campus Connection, serving both behind and on-camera
Fullerton Observer, Fullerton, Calif.
Contributing Reporter (June 2007 – June 2009)
- Covered a wide range of events in the local area, ranging from track meets to new construction
Sunny Hills Accolade, Fullerton, Calif.
Editor-in-Chief, Sports Editor (Dec. 2005 – June 2009)
- Led the newspaper to multiple awards—Pacemaker Finalist, CSPA Silver Crown, ASPA Award
- Covered multiple sports beats, as well as performed investigative journalism amid the arrest of a teacher accused of selling illegal drugs, the murder of a former teacher, etc.
Duke University, Durham, N.C.
Dates Attended: August 2009 – May 2012
- B.A. in Political Science (Concentration: Comparative Government and Politics)
- Certificate (interdisciplinary course of study) in Policy Journalism and Media Studies
- Minor in International/Comparative Studies (Concentration: Western Europe)
- Relevant Coursework: TV Journalism, Journalism Ethics/Morals, Media Theory, Global Advertising, Copyright Law
Sunny Hills High School, Fullerton, Calif.
Dates Attended: August 2005 – June 2009
- International Baccalaureate Diploma recipient; Honor Roll; AP Scholar; GPA: 3.98/4.0
Chi Omega (Women’s) Fraternity, Durham, N.C.
January 2010 – May 2012
- Panhellenic Delegate – instrumental in implementing first-ever sorority housing at Duke; serve as voice of Chi Omega (Mu Kappa chapter) on Duke Panhellenic Council’s executive voting board (one of nine delegates)
- Assistant Recruitment Chair – crucial role in planning, executing, delegating Spring ’10, Fall ’11, Spring ’12 recruitment
- Marketing Team Co-Chair – work with Cardinal Cabinet directors and Spirit/Marketing Director to plan philanthropy, sisterhood, Greek-wide events; market Chi Omega well to faculty, staff, Greeks, and non-Greeks
The (Duke) Chronicle, Durham, N.C.
September 2009 – May 2012
- Sports Recruitment Co-Chair – lead recruitment for the sports section from Summer 2011 – Spring 2012; lead open discussion sessions; create and put up fliers; advertise to incoming freshmen, sophomores
Duke Women’s Club Tennis, Durham, N.C.
September 2009 – May 2012
- Social Chair – plan events to garner team spirit between men’s & women’s club tennis teams; promote inter-club unity through events with Club Swim, Club Baseball, etc.
Duke Women’s Rowing, Durham, N.C.
September 2010 – December 2010
- Novice Coxswain – served as coxswain for Novice 8s, Novice 4s, and Novice 2s
Mr Youth, Durham, N.C.
BlackBerry Brand Ambassador (Aug. 2011 – Dec. 2011)
- Work with a partner to oversee a Brand Ambassador Team to promote the BlackBerry brand on campus
- Plan events both on and off campus targeting different groups (ex: brand awareness event centered around social media)
Sanford School of Public Policy, Durham, N.C.
Communications Intern (Sept. 2010 – Dec. 2010)
- Interviewed and wrote alumni profiles for the monthly Sanford newsletter
- Wrote press releases, updated website (Sanford.duke.edu) with current events
- Maintained effective communication between the Communications department and various professors
Duke Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Durham, N.C.
Publications Assistant (Sept. 2009 – August 2011)
- Interviewed and wrote profiles about students and organizations on campus
- Authored & maintained student perspective blog: dukestudentblog.wordpress.com
Merrill Lynch, Brea, Calif.
Wealth Management Intern (June 2008 – August 2009)
- Case-study of long-term investment strategy for recent college graduate assessing risk management
- Read and analyzed trends indicated by investment reports from large firms like BlackRock
- Fluent in Mandarin Chinese (speaking, listening); proficient in French (speaking, listening, reading)
- Experienced with social media (Facebook – personal & Duke Chi Omega page, Twitter – personal & Chronicle account, WordPress & Blogspot – personal & student blog, Tumblr – personal, Foursquare, Google Plus)
- Well-versed in AP Style, SEO; Familiar with Python, JMP; experienced with both Macs and PCs